Skip to main content
Intro
Book release

Clara Porges - Die Malerin des Lichtes, erster Band

Today Galerie Bromer counts over 40 artworks by Clara Porges to its inventory. In fall 2013 Bromer opened the first extensive retrospective exhibition about Clara Porges (1879 - 1963), displaying over 130 artworks. Furthermore, a broad monograph about the artist has been edited. The retrospective exhibition and the publication of the monograph symbolized an important veneration for the Swiss artist Clara Porges.

Clara Porges artistic oeuvre has been shown from1912 until the early 1950s in several exhibitions in London, Vienna, Munich, Leipzig, Dresden, Freiburg in Breisgau, Stuttgart, Bern and Zürich. However, her oeuvre was about to fall into oblivion. The artist began to gain acknowledgment only in 1985, when her artworks were included to the exhibition «Das Oberengadin», as a member of artists that artistically engaged with the high valley of the Engadine. 

On the occasion of the 50th day after Clara Porges death, Galerie Bromer presented in September 2013 a broad retrospective exhibition about the artist, showing artworks from our own collection and furthermore, works from the Fundaziun Capauliana from Chur and from several private collections. In addition, the first broad monograph dedicated to the artist's life and oeuvre was launched: Clara Porges. Die Malerin des Lichtes, hrsg. v. Sergio Michels, Dora Lardelli, Bromer Art Collection, Michelsdeign Arteditions, 2013.

      

Buchcover «Clara Porges. Die Malerin des Lichtes»

About artist
Clara Porges
Berlin, 1879 — 1963

From 1896 until 1900 Clara Porges (17.9.1879, Berlin – 17.5.1963, Samaden) studied at the Art Academy and the Fehr Academy in Berlin, where she graduated as a painter. Study trips led her to Italy, Vienna and, on the trail of Nietzsche, to the Engadine.
Clara Porges’ artistic oeuvre has been shown from 1912 until the early 1950s in several exhibitions in London, Vienna, Munich, Leipzig, Dresden, Freiburg in Breisgau, Stuttgart, Bern, and Zürich. However, her oeuvre was about to fall into oblivion in the second half of the 20th century. The artist began to gain acknowledgment only in 1985, when her artworks were included in the exhibition Das Oberengadin in der Malerei at the Segantini Museum in St. Moritz, as a member of artists that artistically engaged with the Engadine.